2.23.2010

Project 3: 7 Deadly Sins

I'm quite excited for this project because we are making a series of photographs depicting the 7 deadly sins or virtues. I decided to stick with sins because they seem more interesting to me. With my idea, I can always switch to the virtues if I wanted. So my idea! I want to portray each sin abstractly using colored paper. Other ideas were to convey it by facial expressions, using only indexes/symbols, and the setting without people.

With the colored paper, I was thinking of cutting/tearing them to convey the sin. So like wrath would be torn paper with sharp edges and more geometric than say, gluttony. I also did some research and there are corresponding colors so I'm going to use those.

Color associated with the sin
  • gluttony - orange
  • lust - blue
  • wrath - red
  • greed - yellow
  • pride - violet
  • sloth - light blue
  • envy - green
With more thinking, I was planning to find objects that associated with the sins in the color that represents it. So like gluttony would be orange candy and greed would be gold jewelry perhaps. Some of them are a bit harder so it's still in the thinking process (or I'll think about it as I go along). They also have associated animals so I could probably find a miniature of them and spray paint them. I did say above that I could do this for virtues as well so I might as well add those colors just in case.

Colors associated with the virtue
  • humility - purple
  • kindness - pink
  • compassion - blue
  • diligence - green
  • charity - yellow
  • patience - orange
  • purity - white
Yah...I really don't want to stick an object in but I also want for people to get that sin right when they look at it. Maybe the paper needs to do magic then.

No comments:

Post a Comment