2.07.2010

Edgar Allan Poe

So for my project 2 in Image, I chose Edgar Allan Poe as my person. I think everyone knows what type of character he is but here are some facts about him:
  • Born 01.19.1809; died 10.07.1849
  • Part of the Romantic movement
  • Best known for tales of mystery and the macabre
  • Considered the inventor of the detective-fiction genre
  • Wrote on and off but "The Raven" really made him famous
  • Gothic style works
  • Had recurring themes dealing with questions of death like physical signs, effects of decomposition, concerns of premature burial, reanimation of the dead, mourning, etc.
  • Wrote a lot of satires, humor tales, hoaxes, and horror
  • Used irony and ludicrous extravagance for comic effect
Below are the list of indexes and symbols I came up with.
  • raven
  • dead branches
  • haunted mansion
  • graveyards
  • alcohol
  • kingdom
  • castle
  • sea
  • waves
  • dirt
  • casket
  • love symbol (heart?)
  • dungeon/dark basement
  • wood floors
  • letters
  • calligraphy
  • ink pen/feather/fountain pen
  • shadows
  • conscience
  • cognac
  • red roses
  • darkness
  • decay
  • skeleton
  • robes
  • candles
  • tombstones
  • cellar
  • crypt like place
  • moon
  • night
  • dark
  • joker
  • journal
  • skull
  • rocks
  • pale skin
  • pocket watch
Out of all of these, I'm leaning towards creating a dark set that has dirt/rocks at the bottom with like cement or rock like walls. And in this setting, there will be a notebook that has a quote and his name written in calligraphy with a fountain pen. Around this notebook will be a red rose/petals, raven, branches, candle, pen, and shot glass/wine glass. I was also thinking of shooting in black and white to capture the dark feel but I will also try in color. I feel like all of these things separately could define someone else that is like a dark writer, but put together with like the setting and the raven would define it as Poe. Hopefully it will all work out. And now for quotes, I think I'm going to aim at more of a "dreamy" quote because it seems to define Poe better than other quotes. So, quote options!
  • All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.
  • Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
  • Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary.
  • The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably to most poetical topic in the world.
  • They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
  • We loved with a love that was more than love.
  • Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.
Yup. I am aiming to get all my objects and things before tomorrow and then bring them into class and set it up, that way, I can rearrange things while working on it in studio/class.

No comments:

Post a Comment