3.25.2010

Diagrams

The reading in Lupton's book along with Heibert's, that I read before I knew it was crossed out, really help me visualize what I should be aiming at. Some notes I took on Lupton's reading:
  • a diagram is a graphic representation of a structure, situation or process
  • it allows us to see relationships that would not come forward in a straight list of numbers or a verbal description
  • charts or diagrams should employ metaphoric distractions or excessive flourishes but should stay within the realm of objective observation
  • it makes connections in networks
  • centralized networks include pyramids and trees where all power issues from a common point
  • decentralized networks has spine with radiating elements
  • distrubuted network has node to node relationship with no spine and no center
  • overlapping relationships like a van diagram
  • principles of diagramming and mapping are used to organize narrative in a spatial way
  • typically combine visual and verbal information, requiring mastery of both typography and composition
This applies to our project at this stage because we are starting to do information graphics!!~! These readings really helped because there were some awesome examples of how many layers there can be and I've tried including as many layers as I can but it's not coming together very well yet, but I have faith. Some of the "rules" that they mention makes a lot of sense and they all seem practical enough that you don't think about it yourself often. I made an information graphic inspired by Tufte in Foundations year and now that I look back on it, it was pretty good but it could've been better. So I'm super excited for this phase and hopefully I will succeed.

1 comment:

  1. bring in the infograph from foundation - I'd really like to see it.

    ReplyDelete