1.26.2010

Project 1: Semiotics of Me

Semiotics are associative meanings and signifiers to something. Our first project is to present ourselves and who we are through semiotics. There are three categories: icon, index, and symbol.

First off: icon. Icon is a representation. It can be recognized and bears a physical resemblance. I chose to take pictures of myself (thanks Kate for helping me) wearing various outfits that says who I am as a person.
Second: index. Index is an indicator, like clues, therefore allowing the audience to figure it out. I chose different objects that speaks about me. For example, I chose the ribbons below because they are colorful, bright, and cute. This sums me up pretty nice since the most common comments I hear about myself is that I'm cute, but I'm also cheerful and "bright".
And finally third: symbol. Symbol is a code. It can be text or something that people learn the association to. I chose things that are significant to me, especially to my style and who I am. For example, I chose the teddy bear because for one, it dresses sorta like me, but I see it as comforting and "always there" and I feel like I try to be that person to all my friends.

Finding things proved to be challenging. We were suppose to have ten different ideas for each category and I got mostly stuck on symbol. I found like 28 in total, which I know isn't the minimum but I really can't think of anymore. The only two I am missing comes from the symbol category. Hopefully it will pass. -cross fingers-. BUT! I have faith and it will be ok. I just find it hard, I think, to try to describe myself through objects and things and words and all that. I do find it exciting that we are doing this because this is a good way to be like, "Hi, I'm Vi. Nice to meet you."

No comments:

Post a Comment