9.20.2009

Final Statement

So the whole dot process was pretty stressful. I started off with the theme of "family" and I wanted to do something that defined what family is to different people. I use the term family loosely because I consider my closest friends as family, and I would like to believe that others think like this as well. From there, I chose 9 words to describe family, 5 good and 4 bad. I set up my book every other page, starting with a good, followed by a bad, etc. I felt like this way, the viewers can see that everything good comes with a bad, and vice versa. I chose to stick with colors and textures since these words were very open and there wasn't just one thing that can explain the meanings. So with the colors, I chose colors that went along with the feelings they convey. For example, I used red with fury because red conveys excitement and energy and yellow for neglect because it conveys betrayal and deceit. As for the textures, it was based on the word itself, like what is support. It could be anything really, from trees to metal to rocks and so forth. So that was how I approached textures and colors. In general, I think the book flows well. The last page is impenetrable, which I chose gray as the color. It seems like a really dull color since all the other were bright colors, but gray means security and reliability and I thought that was really deep for family and a good note to end with.

I definitely learned a lot during this whole project. I learned how to convey a word clearly using just dots. Which was hard, especially for "intact". You wouldn't think it was hard, but it was my toughest word probably. As for type, I really like having to print, cut, and paste each word/letter. It was way easier than if I was to do it in a program. And plus, I got to learn how to use the Konica. Craft wise, I could definitely improve. I got some circle cutters but for the circles that I had to cut by hand, they look so bad. And my pages aren't even. Yes. There's still a lot to learn and this was a good 1st project to start with.

1 comment:

  1. You mention your color choices here and I remember that you did additional research on color theory for this project. That type of outside research is important to document as part of your process. You could link to the websites in a blog post.

    ReplyDelete