5.04.2011

Readings 05.06.11

Designing for Children: Designing for a younger audience is a lot harder than what people would think. The design should inform, delight, and satisfies. Producing a design that caters to a wide age range is also difficult because you want to keep the older kids engaged but you don't want to leave out the younger ones that hasn't fully understand complex ideas. The designs should not speak down to the kids or make them feel any smaller or younger than they are. I feel like my idea caters to all ages since it is so open-ended, the kids can answer the questions however they want.

Map design: When designing maps, there are 5 things to keep in mind: decide on concept before making, hierarchy of elements, simplicity until you can't take out anything else, must function well, and use emotion to design so that the emotion can be conveyed to the users. I feel like my map kept those all in mind but while I was making it, I did things more backwards than forwards. I didn't have a concept to start with and I kept it simple from the beginning and kept adding instead of keeping it complicated and taking away.

Play as Research: Iterative design is important when creating for audiences that will interact with the artifact, such as games. It allows you to see things you missed when you first design it. With our project, we had a user testing day and everyone benefitted from it. I saw what was wrong with my design and how to improve it. Testing it also made the project "real" and that it should cater to the audience the best way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment