8.29.2010

Readings 08.27.10

Type + Image
Language is a systematic means of communicating ideas or feelings through signs having understood meaning. The whole section that we were suppose to read reiterate what was lectured on Friday. I got a better understanding of each rhetoric trope and how to effectively use them. Towards the end, it says that graphic designers "have an ethical responsibility to the audience and should not knowingly create or manipulate signs and symbols to falsely distort truth". That sentence made me more conscious about my signs and how I convey them.

Bonsiepe
In this article, he talks a lot about rhetoric figures. He had three main categories, like syntactic figures, semantic figures, and pragmatic figures. Most of the ones we learned are under the semantic figures. I felt like I have been aware of all these tropes but never really realized it until now, when we are studying more in depth. Especially like irony or when we were doing semiotics with our icons. Everything seems to be falling into place now that I know a lot more than I did when I first started.

No comments:

Post a Comment